Parents Evening 2021
Parents evening are an important part of academy life and we will be hosting these events online this year, connecting parents and teachers by video call. We will be using School Cloud, which allows parent to choose appointment times accessible by mobile, laptop or a desktop computer.
• a device with a microphone and speaker and ideally a camera
• a compatible web browser which is updated to the latest version: - iPhone/iPad: Safari –
Android: Chrome or Firefox –
Windows: Chrome, Firefox - Mac:
Safari, Chrome or Firefox –
Linux: Chrome or Firefox
Guidance for Parents Evenings:
As virtual parents’ evenings are new to us we thought it important to establish some ground rules so that all participants are following the same protocol to ensure everyone’s wellbeing.
•Conversations should take place in appropriate rooms e.g. kitchen, lounge, not a bedroom.
•All participants should be appropriately dressed as they would be for a real-life face to face meeting.
•No conversations should be recorded.
•If you are using a device with FaceTime or WhatsApp to enable both parents from different households to attend simultaneously please flag this up to the teacher
•Parents have the choice of using audio and/or video, but we would like to put a name to a face.
•As in real life, your child is welcome to attend.
•Please try to be on time as the slot times are not flexible at all and will start/finish exactly on time automatically. The teacher is not able to extend this.
•The first 30 seconds of each conversation allows for a short break for the teacher who will initiate the conversation at some point when they are ready during this time.
•St Marks’s is often commended for the very positive, constructive relationships between staff and parents and it is important that this continues. Therefore, please note that in the extremely unlikely event of verbal abuse, staff will end the conversation and refer the matter to the Senior Leadership Team.
•Staff have checked their devices work so we hope all is well at our end.
•Using your smartphone for video appointments. If you don't have a smartphone with a front-facing camera, use a laptop or computer with a webcam and microphone.
• Using the link in your confirmation email to directly access the appointment without needing login details.
• Logging on up to an hour before - if you can’t see “Join Video Appointments” check see our troubleshooting guide.
• Please read the guide carefully beforehand to ensure you are using a suitable browser.
• Making sure your camera and microphone and volume are fully enabled in your settings and that you have allowed the system to access them prior to the video call.
• Better sound is achieved if only one person speaks (closely) to the microphone at a time.
If one party loses connection please just wait whilst they log in again - you should be able to resume if there is time remaining.
• If there is a sound/display issue try clicking the microphone/camera icon off and on again.
• If there is still an issue try logging off and logging on again or try another device. If possible have a back up device ready for you to log on and use.
• We cannot do any more on the night so please be forgiving in case of a technical hitch. We are doing our best to make contact at this difficult time. If you miss a conversation or have repeated connection issues the teacher will contact you in the next couple of days.
Parents' Evening Dates:
Y7 14 January 2021
Y13 28 January 2021
Y8 04 March 2021
Y9 25 March 2021
Y12 01 April 2021
Y11 22 April 2021
Y10 17 June 2021